"...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."
Isaiah 61:2b-3

e-mail address

southerngospel_chic@yahoo.com

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A good example

Sometimes I wonder what kind of person I'm like when I go through a trial. Am I the bitter, leave me alone the whole world hates me kind of person? Am I the depressed sit in the dark and life is hopeless kind of person? Or am I the kind of person that says, "hey, I'll admit, this stinks, but I'm gonna hold my head up high and praise the Lord anyway."

Why is this question on my mind? I saw someone the other day that I've known for years, but I hadn't seen them in a while. Last year she was diagnosed with cancer and she's been on treatments since then.

When she saw me she was behind me and I didn't see her until she said something to me. I turned around and there she was this huge smile on her face. We made small talk and asked each other how things were going. We each answered that things were going good. She wanted to talk to Scott, so I went to the van and got him (I was in a store and he was waiting patiently for me).

When he got in he asked her specifically how her cancer was. You would almost not believe how she answered:

With a huge smile on her face she said, "It's still there, in fact it's eating my lunch."

Huh? With that big of a smile and she says her cancer is not doing very well? How does a person do that? I immediately started asking myself what kind of person I was when I went through trials. I knew right then that I don't think I smile and say something like, "This is really getting me down, but hey, God is in control and I thank Him everyday for the things I do have." I'm pretty sure I'm a combination of the other two I mentioned. I get a little bitter and depressed.

But I've decided that I want to be like this friend. I want to be able to smile and say, "yeah this things kind of kicking my butt" and laugh at it a little.

Wow, what faith she has to be able to smile through it all and even laugh. When all the while this cancer could just get the best of her (we pray it doesn't though).

What a great lesson in for me to learn. I just pray that when the next trial comes (and it eventually will, whatever it is) that I can have the joy of the Lord as much as she does and maybe be a light for Christ to others going through trials.

Lord, I just pray that you would fill me with your joy so much right now, that no matter what I'm going through I would have your joy in me. Enough that people notice and ask how I can smile through it. I just pray that I could be an example like Kris is. I pray for her that you would let her live a long and wonderful life to be able to see her grandchildren grow up. I pray for you to touch her body and heal the cancer. I pray all this in Your precious and holy name.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment