"...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."
Isaiah 61:2b-3

e-mail address

southerngospel_chic@yahoo.com

Friday, January 22, 2010

Lessons in "Facing the Giants"

I was watching “Facing the Giants” the other night. The movie has always been a favorite of mine because it speaks to me about God doing the impossible. But when I watched it, a new message jumped out at me. It was a part that has never spoken to me before. It's the part where he introduces the new team philosophy to the team. He tells them that their attitude is the “aroma of their heart” and that they need to play for God whether they win or lose. He then has a player (with a doubting attitude about winning) do what he calls the “death crawl”. Which is where a player crawls on his hands and feet (no knees) with someone on their back. He tells him that he can go from the endzone to the 50 yard line without stopping. But then he blindfolds him so that he can't see where he is going.

As he is doing this, if you listen closely to the other team members, they are all saying things like, “He can't do it,” “I bet he won't make it.” But the coach is right there giving encouragement and trying to drown out the discouraging comments. This reminded me of my life in that I tend to believe all the lies that Satan puts in my head. (you're not good enough, you're ugly, you're stupid, you don't deserve good things) This was only one lesson I learned from this one scene.

The football player is giving it his all and ready to give up, but the coach keeps him going, and when he is finally done he is in the other endzone. The coach says something that again reminds me of my life. He says, “you are the most influential player on this team. If you walk around defeated, so will they.”

There was a time that I was really questioning why things were happening to me like they were. I was complaining that I was a “good person” and didn't feel like good things were happening. I wanted a baby more than anything and didn't have one. I looked around at people who had them and it made me angry. I asked God one day why he would seem to allow bad things to happen to His children while letting good things happen to those that did not live for Him. His answer shocked me....and then was confirmed by the movie when the coach said what he did. God said, “Those other people who don't have Me to lean on would not be able to handle things like this as well. But you have Me and with Me you can handle it.” In a sense he was telling me “you are one of the most influential players on this team. If you walk around defeated then so will the others. But if you show them that they can lean on me and get through rough times, then they will see that they can too.” Wow! What an awesome God we have.

Lord, thank you that you speak to me in this way sometimes. I am so glad that you can use everyday things to teach me a lesson. I pray that what you teach me might touch someones heart and maybe even change their life. I know it's hard to believe it sometimes, but you do have a plan for our lives that is good for us and not to harm us. Help me to know when to question you and when to just trust you. I love you, Lord.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment